Thursday, March 08, 2007

Two Socks on Two circular needles and me :)



http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm

http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/twocirculars.html
both of the links above are wonderful sites to help learn how to knit two socks on two circular needles at the same time
which is what i set out to do over the past few days.
i spent the first evening casting on and taking off over and over and over because i couldn't figure out what needles to knit with and if i had the yarn cast on in the right direction. after allot of frustration i finally got it though so i was very happy about that . knitting from the cuff to the heel was no problem gave me time to get used to what needles to grab next and use . doing the heel flap was another easy one as well as turning each heel.
Kapowwwwwwwww slammmmmmmmmm bangggggggg boommmmmmm i then ran into a wall. couldn't get my mind to wrap around how to pick up the stitches along each heel flap and keep going. it just wasn't happening . ( been doing this for years knitting socks just couldn't get past this spot for a bit) so i gave up walked away for a bit went to get stitchy and sat and read and read and then said OK call it a night. there is always tomorrow miss scarlet LOL
walked back into the bedroom said OK one more try before i turn in . and walla it is as though a light went on in a dark room and i got it. eureka and all that. i got it. so i think i stayed up a bit longer and kept going then put it all down happy again as a clam and went to sleep .
and now today i can head for the toes. have no clue who these socks well end up with . there acrylic of course a good learning thread.
the other hurdle for me is to wrap my mind around other patterns of socks now other then the ones i am used to doing .
of course that is always how it is with a new technique.
i remember well the lady that owns the local yarn store saying she was not giving up her dp's with socks couldn't see past those. heck i remember when i couldn't either. but i got tired of dps and knew there was a way i could loose those at least until the end. so i taught myself how to do all on one tiny circular needle.
and i remember running into the two socks on two needles awhile back because the first site is the one i downloaded and printed out thinking ok maybe one day i will take a peek.
but i wouldn't have gone that far if it weren't for Get Stitchy and the gals i hang out with in here or for my friend Ronda who kept asking me if i had ever even tried the two circular needles thing. nopeeeeeeee nooo and nawwwww wayyy sorry . and then that print out kept falling out of the book shelf every time i would look for patterns. LOL so i figured ok Ronda i hear you all the way up here in Alaska . so that was it you know what after getting this far i think i really do like this. not sure i will go back to one needle certainly wont go back to 4 dps unless i am at the toes. LOL sooooooooo THANKS RONDA for the challenge.
and you know what it didn't take that long to get it either. just a couple of days . minus of course a few more gray hairs i can well do with out LOL
ok time for coffee . i think its done :)

3 comments:

Fancy Pants said...

I'm so proud of you! I can't knit socks on two circulars. I've tried and ended up tangled in yarn and needles. It's DPNs for me. I can't wait to see the finished socks!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Good for you gf! I knew you could do it. And now you only have to learn how to do socks using the Magic Loop method. (and toe up) Oh yah, then you'll be a MASTER sock knitter. Even I have yet use the Magic Loop to knit socks. Not that I don't want to ... it's just that I don't have a problem doing it with two circs or dpns. But I plan to learn so I can say I'm a Knitter with a capital 'K'. Right?

J Wo said...

This blog is pretty old, but my enthusiasm pushed me to respond.

I have never knitted anything before--my wife knits everything. 3 yr ago I bought some yarn some fat needles and a 20 page pamphlet with knitting directions. In April of 2009 I opened the bag and started, practicing only knit/purl stitches for several months before finally screwing my courage to the sticking point. I hid all signs of knitting from my wife and 3 days ago I showed her the "class sock" I knitted from the book Sensational Knitted Socks. Shell shocked, she laughed & almost coughed up her tonsils.

I used double pointed needles and have my second sock on dpn's right now, but might think about circular needles really soon because a needle fell off once and I don't want to repeat that.

It's really cool that you're knitting two socks at the same time! I'm encouraged! Thanks!