Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mandy's sweater and where did grandpa pat go?

here i am finally ready to bind off the sweater. of course because its knit from the neck down that includes both front and back at the same time for anyone that doesn't know what that means.
Awe :) and now the fun begins. because here i use my creative imagination. here i add on a very large pocket in the front that looks just like a sweat shirt pocket. Pattern for the pocket? I don't have one. never have. and i didn't have a pattern told me how to get from the neck down and connect both parts at the under arm either with a button flap on both upper parts. just drew out the idea on a piece of paper and figured it out from there. of course i looked at other pictures of sweaters to get the idea and of course the family requested sweaters done like sweat shirts you know grams the kind with the hood and the pocket in front? nothing like a challenge to get your knitting juices going :) i hunted through all the books and pattens i have here and came up with nothing went on line and came away with a few children's patterns but nothing for any adults or teens nothing i could use for anyone that came along. zip zero. i for sure wasn't going to knit a pocket and sew it on at all. none of the ideas or patterns i found gave me what i was actually looking for . this idea i have works on any size. so in the end of it all i had no choice but to work it all out on paper again and figure out how it was done.
soooo bottom photo i am now knitting back up to the top :) yep knit down and then knit up. working on the huge pocket its all knit into the sweater nothing sew on yet. i so don't like seams if i can avoid them at all costs.

my digital camera is deciding to work ok again. and with a good photo shop program i can come pretty close to the true colors

where did grandpa pat go? he is on the Navy Mom pages. Love him dearly but i need my room to be able to throw my knitting hands around and get down to the purls of things :)
ps.. hubby just got a call from work one of the cooks isnt going to be on time. he had to hire a metal detector to be able to locate his car. seems its in his drive way some place. but there not sure exactly where. he went on a month long vacation and came back to this LOL oh oh nothing like burried in snow :)

4 comments:

AR said...

Great! I love how you figure it out and just do it. That's how my mom knits. I mostly use patterns, at least to start with.

I understand the snowed in feeling. Luckily we've never lost the car in the driveway! LOL

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Hope he doesn't have to dig out the whole driveway before finding it, LOL. I've had a car burried right up over the roof, but there was still a lump there to show us where it was.

That sweater is going to be goreous. Elizabeth Zimmerman did a pocket like that I think. Great that you could figure it out on your own. I hope I'll be that good some day too... I've only been knitting 2 years so far, but crocheted for 30+. I never imagined that I would love knitting so much as I do now.

Keep warm, Crissy and happy knitting!

Cindiluhu (Freezebabee) said...

That is turning out gorgeous and it's my favorite color. Good jobB

c h r i s t i n e said...

That really looks fantastic-- yaay for quick hands!