Monday, April 16, 2007

zip lock bags aka zippies & me Percy pack rats sister LOL

I am not to sure how many middle names i do have but one of them is pack rat. sister to Percy pack rat i guess.
i have yarn here that out dates my first wedding anniversary just two skein's mind you but hey still pre- dates my wedding anniversary LOL lovingly kept in old sandwich bags and then eventually transferred to zippies. good heavy duty zippies i swear there a knitters best friend. everything goes into those at the beginning of a project. oh yea getting ahead of myself there before i tell you how i pack my knitting bag let me tell you more about the two skein's of yarn.

my first grandchild was on his way. back before we knew he was a baby boy now a 23 year old brat. anyway i bought this lovely cotton yarn in yellow...a fingerling yarn. and sat and crocheted him a beautiful dress. and then here comes mike my grandson and last child still at home . lucky for me i had this friend here who had just had this baby girl so i gave her the dress and kept the left over two skiens of yarn. which surfaces once in awhile for me to lovingly remember that baby dress i made oh so long ago. well it surfaced about a week ago for some reason these two skeins of yarn have just not stayed with the rest of the yarn in my yarn stash. and mike was home so i said hey look at this mike ! and i told him the story about the dress. he looked at me like i lost it totally and then i lost the yarn again LOL it surfed off again and resurfaced tonight in the quilting material cupboard. all i can do is smile.
and now its going to be used in some nice projects and of course i will knit up a swatch of it to go in mikes baby book of photos of him and his son:)

ok how i pack my knitting bag & and why would you really want to know ? LOL
for some reason i felt i had to tell you so here goes. and since i typed it all up no reason to hit delete LOL so...... sufferrrrrrrrr ..................

A 1 or 2 gallon zippie for the whole project of the day.
several smaller freezer Zippies cause there the good heavy duty ones
carry the supplies i know i will need. such as measuring tape. row counter. yarn cutter, pencil paper, stitch markers and of course any possible needles i may need.
another one holds the yarn i will use easy enough to pull that end out of the zippie
and all of it goes into either the one gallon zippie or if i need a larger one i have two gallon zippies. along with the pattern of course

and yes i do have knitting bags. but living in Alaska has taught me one thing always make sure everything that goes in that bag is water proof. no matter what it is cause you just never know. i have actually taken projects out on skiffs for the day while hubby fished i knit. or very rarely crocheted.
watched whales out there or seals and the fish swim by while the sun pounded down on us and i knit through the whole thing. i remember one time when we were out on the skiff sitting there watching in totally panic as this killer whale swam right straight for the skiff i thought he was going to ram us he stared right at me and all i could do was hug my knitting project close and try not to catch fish with my open mouth. LOL last min he dove under the skiff . i have dragged my knitting everywhere here. camping hiking fishing and just off to the beach. i swear when little people pack off with there woobies this grandma packs off with her knitting . same things i think. yep mine is definitely a security blanket kind of thing at times LOL

once a skein of yarn gets to a certain stage of being used up. and is sitting rather flat and can be squeezed to flatness with out effort i rewind it using what i call my magic wand stick and then put into zippies for further use.

if it was small enough like sock yarn to begin with it goes into either a zippie to begin with or into a plastic see through box i get from Costco baking department with cookies in them save the box eat the cookies LOL
my stash of yarn is growing . its in a cupboard now taking up the whole thing plus and box i got my heater in from Costco and a knitting bag sitting at the end of my bed and in see through cookie boxes stacked up on the stair way to the attic. and i am getting ready one more time to think seriously of moving things around maybe setting up the knitting differently.
until then here is my stash.
notes : the box of yarn is mostly wool some nice lady gave my hubby for free in a yard sale. lots and lots of it in there. she took good care of it too. and it made it through allot of smoke from the church fire here all in a huge garbage bag .
and now its making its way into project after project.
and then i got this huge huge box of yarn given to me by a wonderful and dear friend i have known on line for years who lives in Hawaii she was getting rid of all her yarn sent me a box full of yarn beautiful stuff. i shall find good uses for :)

oh yea and the magic sock box. i was telling G- Girl about that box in email tonight. thought i would tell you about it too.
i found this really large recipe box in a yard sale many years ago its wooden and had files in it for those large cards and tons of room for all my sock knitting supplies which i kept in there for years. when i moved everything out of it and into a binder sort of keeper bag for all my supplies. i went through the card files and found allot of things like cards with sizes on them for my now 28 year old son when he was 9 and of course mike when he was 5 and 6 years old. and i found a hand written pattern for a hat i love to make all the time don't for the life of me know where i got the pattern originally but i wrote it all out by hand . and tucked in there also was this one pattern that has along with the hat pattern made it to all the major knitting books i have dragged around as this is my staple book sort of thing. this tiny piece of paper with a dish cloth pattern on it. that was had written down for me by this lady who said this is easy try it out. i never did and i intend to now. for the April shower along . yep going to get that out and knit one up see what that is about .
one never knows.
ok this is to long photos tomorrow . i got a few i have to take then too . so well add those then.
time for me to go to bed . hug a pillow and a skien of yarn :)

1 comment:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Whoa, I bet there aren't many people that can say they looked into the eye of a whale. I'd be hugging my knitting too!