Wednesday, April 04, 2007

to run or not to run


omg i get up this am and am working on Mandy pies sweater got the heart done in the back the one hangs off the hood. was busy beading it and the dog next door begins to bark and bark and bark and bark and bark. and driving me nuts i was thinking of going next door and telling them to please do something but left it alone figured something isn't right. well know soon enough. sure was right. next thing i know knitting is thrown down and i am heading for my cloths grabbing as fast as i can getting dressed shoes and all as i run for the front door. not one fire truck but three go Zooming by screeching all the way. and around the corner and down the street up the hill they go. by this time i have my coat on my hat my cell phone in hand my dogs are going nuts my cat is sitting in the recliner taking note of everything looking at me with this mom what is going on look. and i step out and look up the hill and see this wall of black smoke billowing up into the sky. and think omg am i going to have to grab and run again. or what. they reported they sent some 15 units up there before they were done. i lost count was to nervious.

see just about a year back the Church across the street from me went up in flames and they had to come in and grab everyone from this area including me hubby and the dogs and get us all out.

the year before that i ran again from another fire that was down the street took out a mini mall

so i was thinking what do i grab and where the heck do i go since i was doing the alone at home thing today. and wouldn't you know i couldn't get anyone in the family on any phone they had to pick up so i could let them all know what was going on.

figured even if i had they wouldn't be able to reach me for about 30 Min's so the dogs and i would have to stuff the cat in the knitting bag and run. keep calling until we got someone to pick us up.

well we didn't have to run. thank god but i sure feel for the people that got burned out. it was an apartment building .


"Remodeling crews who happened to be working in a nearby building took their ladders to the burning apartment and helped people escape from the third floor, witnesses said"


i heard people were jumping out of windows 20 to 30 feet up so i think these remodeling crews are hero's if you ask me. my daughter sent me the photo later after she heard about the fire and called me frantically trying to see if i needed rescuing again last time she couldn't even get near the house to grab me up it was horrible.

my grandsons buddy had an apartment up there said he is ok called mike to let him know said he lost everything in that fire.
as you can see took me all of today to calm down and now that i am if i do knit its going to be very little
i can still smell the smoke in the air.
ok think knit purl knit purl hey this is better then counting sheep. knit purl knit purl :)

6 comments:

c h r i s t i n e said...

That is very scary! I'm glad are safe and sound. Keep those sticks moving, they most def. help with anxiety ;D!

Alice said...

Glad you are ok. That photo scared me. Stay safe up there!!

g-girl said...

omg..glad that you're safe. the photo scared me too! on a side note...mandy pie's sweater looks great! I love the heart buttons-so cute! ;)

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

That is really scary and even more so since you were alone and couldn't reach anybody. Wild fires can happen ANYWHERE. Scary. So glad to hear you're fine and on your way to calming down. knit 1, purl 2

Valerie said...

How terrible. I have seen a couple of fires firsthand myself and I know how terrifying they can be. I am glad that you are alright and it didn't spread. I wish the best for your neighbors, what a terrible thing.

Hilari said...

Glad you're safe! That's one scary looking fire!